Listening. It’s something that sounds (no pun intended) so easy, but if you’re truly empathetically, curiously listening, it takes a lot of intentionality and focus.
How many of you tend to think about your response to someone as they’re speaking rather than taking in their words? (Don’t worry, we’re guilty too.) Unfortunately, we live in a culture of people that love to talk about themselves. Everyone can rattle off their accomplishments, life stories, and always have an experience to share that’s slightly more interesting, similar or better than yours that they often share right after you’ve stopped speaking.
We at Sweet Pea dream of a world where, rather than the scenario just described, people make it their goal to ask incredible questions. And not just one-and-done kind of questions, but questions that lead to deeper, more thoughtful ones than the one before. Questions that break the ice.
We’ve compiled some of our favorite questions. If you can memorize some of these, more power to you. We’re fans of physically pulling these out and going through them together with someone. i.e. a friend or a date. You can alternate taking turns asking them, and seeing where the discussion goes.
- Who inspires you?
- How would you describe yourself in three words?
- Where do you picture yourself in five years?
- Could you describe a perfect date from sun up to sundown?
- Celebrity crush?
- When do you feel the most joy?
- What gives you motivation to get through hard times?
- What’s the best book you’ve read recently?
- What was your childhood like?
- If you could travel any country for a year, where would you go?
- What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?
- When is the last time you cried?
- What’s your best feature?
- What is your favorite quality about me?
- What’s your love language?
- If you could have another profession, what would be it be?
- What’s a relationship deal-breaker for you?
- Best concert you’ve ever been to?
- Who’s your best friend?
- To kiss or not to kiss on a first date?
Let’s get to listening!