This post will be more enjoyable if read to the tune of the La La Land soundtrack. Go ahead, take a minute and do it.
There are few places more magical than Los Angeles in the summer. All the trees are in bloom, birds are literally chirping more than that animated bluebird in 500 Days of Summer, and it’s just a tad hotter outside than it is the rest of the year, giving men and women alike an excuse to don their best summer getup.
Another thing we love about summer… it’s easy to fall in love. Deep, sunset-inspired, so-much-better-than-roses-and-bubbles love. We’ve put together a list of some of our all-time favorite date ideas in the City of Angels.
- Pack a backpack with a blanket, a bottle of cabernet sauvignon, and some truffles from John Kelly Chocolates in Hollywood. Hike to the top of Runyon to catch the sunset.
- Grab warm jackets, a thermos full of hot chocolate, s’more makings, a beach towel, and reserve a campfire at Dockweiler Beach.
- Head to Griffith Park to watch the Independent Shakespeare Co. perform for free. Get there early to grab a seat, share a picnic, and squeeze in a little QT before the show begins.
- Relish your Sunday afternoon together by heading to the Melrose Trading Post. Give each other a $10 budget and 20 minutes to browse and find a small special-something to give your date. Exchange your gifts over a bite at the food trucks.
- Head to the Thursday night South Pasadena Farmer’s market and buy some fresh ingredients so you can cook dinner together. Make a custom playlist to fit the theme of your night.
- Take a zumba class together in Atwater Village at Heartbeat House. Finish the date with a fresh pick-me-up next door at JUICE or a delicious Falafel Sandwich at Dune.
- See a show at Hotel Cafe or The Troubadour in Hollywood. Musicians here tend to be up-and-coming and are sure to make some sparks fly.
- Engage in some friendly competition at Highland Park Bowl over wood fire pizzas and beers.
- Catch an indie flick at the Los Feliz Vintage Theater and then walk to Churro Burro for a horchata churro ice cream sandwich and discuss the film
- Sip on a custom cocktail at the Library Bar in The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, then laugh the night away by watching improv together at UCB Franklin.
- Snuggle up under the stars and watch a movie at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Be sure to get there early for snacks and drinks (pack a bag) and reserve your tickets early!
- Get lost together at the LACMA, being inspired by art. If things are going really well, head over to Republique for a french feast.
- Take a morning bike ride together in Venice along the waterfront. End your journey at Blue Star donuts and reward yourselves for all that tough peddling.
- Blow your mind by choosing from hundreds of fro-yo pairings at Toppings in the Palisades. Then put your architecture hat on and check out the Eames House. Can we get a collective mid-century swoon?
- Drive to the snow and the ocean in the same day. Start in Big Bear, end at Point Dume! And breakfast burritos should always be included in adventures like this. We highly recommend Lily’s in Malibu.
Stay tuned for Part Two and Three of this series for more date ideas. Most important, get out there and enjoy the summer! Comment below with your best date ideas or hit us up at @SweetPeaApp.